Saturday, April 24, 2010

Not so happy landings

Friday 23.04.10

After a rough night of negligible sleep, we got up just before dawn so we could pack our tents and gear onto the bikes before daylight. We talked about the night before and both laughed when admitting to hearing things and discovering our actual position in the middle of the night.

We cleaned up and started on a rough heading back towards where we had come from, along the way we found some old dirt roads with dips and bumps in them, I told Jim something like how much fun it would have been to try and do some small jumps on them. He said: "yeah, you wanna unload your bike and try? I can take photos!" to which I replied: "eeh yeah sure!"

See, we have this "challenge" system with which we try and push each other to do things that are not always the easiest or most effortless. We do this to get more out of this trip and to experience the most we can. Of course this was not one of the "challenges", as they usually involve driving a lot further than planned or taking unknown routes or eating some strange dish etc.

They are not dare-devil stunts or anything like that, they are mere suggestions to be brought up and discussed as adults, and when we say the word "challenge" to each other I know to use the little part of the brain that controls logic and reason. Now, some may know my brain did not come equipped with this item installed as standard, but I have been trying to grow one for some 30 years now, with debatable success.

Well I don't know why I mentioned the challenge system but I guess I thought of it as a bit of a fun little challenge, now you're all thinking: "geez here we go, now he's gone and broken his pelvis or something and he's at the hospital.. what else is new?".

To you I say. "Non!" :)

The only one (or thing) that got a bruising was Klara KLR.

I had made a jump at good speed when I noticed a little ditch straight ahead about a meter or so wide, I had a split second to make a decision whether to brake hard to try and slow down with the risk of locking the wheels and still hitting the ditch hard, or give her more throttle and hope to glide over the ditch.

I chose the latter option and gunned the throttle. I just about cleared it but hit the far edge of the ditch with my rear wheel, bottoming out the rear shock so that the underbelly of the bike hit hard sending the bike and me flying up again so only the front wheel was in contact with the ground for a few seconds. I maintained control but it was a hard hit, both for Klara's lower parts as well as mine.

I stopped to do a quick check of the bike, looking for immediate  leaks, cracks or rattles. None were found. I felt quite stupid. It's too easy to forget that you are about 5000km from your usual garage or motorbike workshop, and that you still need everything working smooth for another 3 weeks.

Relieved that the bike was apparently fine, we drove to the town of Erfour to have breakfast. We refueled at a gas-selling place first and then found a local café to order some food.

 We always get tables right by our bikes so we can watch them and most of our gear while eating. I noticed a drop of oil dripping from under the engine and realized I might still be in trouble.

 I looked underneath and found the oil to be coming from the drain bolt, I could see the crash plate had some scars and had also taken a beating.

 I was not happy. I couldn't check it further right then and there since we were parked in a busy street and were waiting for our orders.

 To give me an even worse feeling, another liquid started dripping out of somewhere(!). Klara was not gonna let me forget so easily.

It turned out to be fuel, I thought one of the brackets had tore a hole in the tank, but luckily it was just excess fuel coming out of the vent cap of the newly top-filled tank. Normal, but the coincidence got me scared if only for a minute.

Jim could see I was getting worried still about the oil leak, so we discussed options and decided to find a better place after breakfast where I could further inspect the engine. In the meantime he tried to cheer me up by letting me win a game of Yahtzee (ed: not true, I beat him with superior skills and tactics of course).

I eventually got to inspect the bolt, and to my enormous relief the bolt, bolt threads and engine block were all intact, it had just come a little loose, and needed tightening with a spanner.

I will have to be more careful with Klara, she survived this time, but gave me a big scare.

Happy, we drove on for our next goal for today, namely a desert town in the middle of the dunes called Merzouga. After cruising around in the sand for a while we found a fairly isolated camp site, the temperature was around 30* C in dry dry air so we have taken most of the day off here at the camp site, recharging batteries and organizing everything from our gear to camera / video images. We didn't even think they had electricity out here much less internet, but they sure did have both. :)

Tomorrow we are planning a route through desert areas and a long river canyon with multiple water crossings, it should be very interesting as it was part of the actual Paris-Dakar Rally back in the day. We will be bringing extra fuel and water for the leg, and we hope to get some decent gps coordinates for the route as the maps of the area with lat-long grids are just about non-obtainable for tourists like us, we believe it to be because of its proximity to the border.

Mustafa our host and local fix it all man, is helping us getting coordinates for the "Dakar" route.

We will be in deserted and rural areas for the next 2-3 days but I will update again once we get somewhere they have internet.

I also fly during my off-time

Nice breakfest in Erfoud, I'm glad the bike is ok after the jumps

Wait! Is that engine oil dripping!? and fuel?!

Me before I am assembled every morning

Let me just shimmy under there..

Engine crash plate, now moved up in front of heated grips as best purchase yet!

Bolts tightened and all checked good, I will never hurt you again!

2 comments:

  1. Dudes, we love your stories! But we (me and Sascha) just want to tell you: You guy's are dangerous ........... and foolish!! ;)

    Be safe and keep up the wonderfull journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I LOVES your comments :D

    Thank you for the kind words, we will be, safe that is, not dangerous.. Iceman. :p

    ReplyDelete